Sollette Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sollette Online

The world of Sollette is a complex place. The many races that now flourish on the planet can all trace their origin back to one catalyst: The Demonic Invasion. Now you are flung into the past to confront this perilous time for yourself.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New Concept: Hybrid Races

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Eternal Eclipse
Deity
Eternal Eclipse

Character sheet
Class:
Hit Points:
New Concept: Hybrid Races Left_bar_bleue2/2New Concept: Hybrid Races Empty_bar_bleue  (2/2)
Temporary Hit Points:

New Concept: Hybrid Races Empty
PostSubject: New Concept: Hybrid Races   New Concept: Hybrid Races I_icon_minitime16th November 2010, 1:30 pm

Inspired by the Gamma World character creation process, I decided to use those rules to implement an idea I've had for a while: Hybrid Races.

The concept is that you either choose, or roll for, two of the following races to create a single, hybrid race. There are a few rules to remember when creating a character this way, however.

The first race you choose is your 'Primary' race. You will take the primary stat and skill bonus from this race.

The second race you choose is your 'Secondary' race. You will take the secondary stat and skill bonus from this race as long as it doesn't overlap with the bonuses from the primary race. If they do overlap then you must take the Secondary race's primary bonus for whichever overlaps your Primary race's bonus.

You gain the trait/power of both of your races.

All hybrids have a base size of medium, a base speed of 6, normal vision and speak common.

If you wish to roll for your race: Roll a d20 twice. The first result is your primary and the second result is your secondary. I'll have an example for you below.

If you roll the same number twice, or just choose not to combine two different races, then you are considered a purebred of that race. You take the primary AND secondary bonuses but you still only get the one trait/power. The only exception to this rule is Half-Breed and this is for obvious reasons. If you roll Half-Breed twice then you can reroll both selections or just the one.

There may be further rules but I'll post those as they occur to me, come up for balance reasons, or are suggested by you guys.

---

(.1.)
Construct
You are a construct, a golem, or perhaps you've had limbs replaced artificially.
Primary Stat Bonus: +2 Intelligence
Primary Skill Bonus: +2 History
Secondary Stat Bonus: +2 Constitution
Secondary Skill Bonus: +2 Endurance
Trait: You do not have to eat, drink, or breathe.

(.2.)
Insect
Your ancestors were insects or perhaps you have been changed into an insect-like form.
Primary Stat Bonus: +2 Constitution
Primary Skill Bonus: +2 Endurance
Secondary Stat Bonus: +2 Dexterity
Secondary Skill Bonus: +2 Athletics
Trait: You have a climb speed equal to your speed.

(.3.)
Storm Elemental
You have been touched by the elemental chaos and have developed an affinity with lightning.
Primary Stat Bonus: +2 Wisdom
Primary Skill Bonus: +2 Arcana
Secondary Skill Bonus: +2 Nature
Encounter Power: Lightning Shock * Lightning
-Standard Action * Ranged 5
-Target: One Creature
-Attack: Dexterity +2 vs Reflex
-Hit: 1d6 +Wisdom lightning damage.
(Increase to +4 bonus and 2d6 damage at 11th level and +6 bonus and 3d6 damage at 21st level.)

(.4.)
Empath
You can feel and manipulate the pain and emotions of others.
Primary Stat Bonus: +2 Charisma
Primary Skill Bonus: +2 Diplomacy
Secondary Stat Bonus: +2 Intelligence
Secondary Skill Bonus: +2 Insight
Trait: Adjacent allies who spend a healing surge gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier.

(.5.)
Feline Lycanthrope
Your ancestors were cat-like in nature or perhaps you were infected with lycanthropy.
Primary Stat Bonus: +2 Dexterity
Primary Skill Bonus: +2 Acrobatics
Secondary Stat Bonus: +2 Strength
Trait: You have claws that serve as weapons. They are light blades with a +3 proficiency and do 1d6 damage. They have the off-hand property and can be enchanted or disenchanted like any other weapon. The do not turn to dust when disenchanted. If you are not holding anything in your off-hand then you are considered to be armed with this weapon.

(.6.)
Half-Giant
Your ancestors were of the larger persuasion or maybe you've just grown bigger then the rest of your race.
Primary Stat Bonus: +2 Strength
Primary Skill Bonus: +2 Athletics
Secondary Skill Bonus: +2 Endurance
Trait: Oversized. You can wield weapons you are proficient with one size category larger then you.

(.7.)
Void Spawn
The stars have affected you in interesting ways, granting you a portion of their power.
Secondary Stat Bonus: +2 Wisdom
Secondary Skill Bonus: +2 History
Trait: You take no damage from falling.

(.8.)
Avian
Your ancestors were winged and though it is difficult, you too can fly.
Primary Skill Bonus: +2 Perception
Secondary Skill Bonus: +2 Acrobatics
Encounter Power: Flight
-Move Action
-Effect: You can fly your speed. You must land at the end of this movement or you will fall.

(.9.)
Seer
You have been gifted with clairvoyance.
Primary Skill Bonus: +2 Insight
Secondary Skill Bonus: +2 Arcana
Daily Power: Clairvoyance
-Immediate Interrupt
-Trigger: You don't like the result of d20 roll.
-Effect: Reroll the roll. You must take the new result.

(.10.)
Illithid Born (Soldier)
Your ancestors had some Mind Flayer soldier blood in them.
Primary Skill Bonus: +2 Intimidate
Secondary Skill Bonus: +2 Insight
Encounter Power: Psychic Assault * Psychic
-Standard Action * Burst 5
-Target: One enemy in burst
-Attack: Charisma +2 vs Will
-Hit: 1d6 + Charisma modifier psychic damage.
(Increase to +4 bonus and 2d6 damage at 11th level and +6 bonus and 3d6 damage at 21st level.)

(.11.)
Illithid Born (Slaver)
Your ancestors had some Mind Flayer slaver blood in them.
Primary Skill Bonus: +2 Diplomacy
Secondary Skill Bonus: +2 Bluff
Trait: Group Telepathy. You and each ally within 5 squares of you can communicate telepathically.

(.12.)
Plant
You are a living plant. Perhaps created, transformed, or you are just naturally vegetative.
Secondary Stat Bonus: +2 Wisdom
Secondary Skill Bonus: +2 Nature
Encounter Power: Lashing Creepers
-Standard Action * Burst 5
-Target: One enemy in burst.
-Attack: Constitution +2 vs Reflex
-Hit: 1d6 + Constitution modifier damage.

(.13.)
Fire Elemental
You have been touched by the elemental chaos and have developed an affinity for fire.
Primary Skill Bonus: +2 Intimidate
Encounter Power: Fire Bolt * Fire
-Target: One creature
-Attack: Charisma +2 vs Reflex
-Hit: 1d6 + Charisma modifier fire damage.

(.14.)
Tainted Elemental
You have been touched by the deepest and darkest part of the Elemental Chaos. That which lies closest to the Abyss.
Primary Skill Bonus: +2 History
Secondary Stat bonus: +2 Intelligence
Encounter Power: Poison Bolt * Poison
-Target: One creature
-Attack: Constitution +2 vs Fortitude
-Hit: 1d6 + Constitution modifier poison damage.

(.15.)
Swarmling
You are made up of many tiny creatures all working together. Or perhaps you can disperse and bring yourself back together with a thought.
Primary Skill Bonus: +2 Thievery
Secondary Skill Bonus: +2 Stealth
Encounter Power: Swarm
-Move Action
-Effect: You can shift a number of squares equal to your Dexterity Modifier. While shifting with this power you can move through enemy spaces and squeeze without suffering penalties.

(.16.)
Earth Elemental
You have been touched by the Elemental Chaos and have developed an affinity for earth and stone.
Secondary Stat Bonus: +2 Strength
Encounter Power: Merge with Earth
-Immediate Interrupt
-Trigger: You are hit by an attack forces you to move with a pull, push, slide or knocks you prone.
-Effect: You are not pulled, pushed, slid, or knocked prone by the attack.

(.17.)
Quickling
You are incredibly fast. Either naturally or due to some magical experimentation or mishap.
Primary Skill Bonus: +2 Acrobatics
Secondary Skill Bonus: +2 Diplomacy
Trait: +2 to speed when wearing light armor or no armor.

(.18.)
Manipulator
You can manipulate objects without touching them.
Primary Stat Bonus: +2 Intelligence
Primary Skill Bonus: +2 Arcana
Secondary Stat Bonus: +2 Charisma
Secondary Skill Bonus: +2 Heal
Trait: Telekinetic Reach. You can manipulate unattended objects within 3 squares of you. You can open doors as a minor action, or swing a weapon as a standard action. You suffer a -2 penalty and you do not add the weapon's proficiency bonus to the attack roll. You do not add any modifier to the weapons damage roll.

(.19.)
Ursine Lycanthrope
Your ancestors were bear-like in nature or perhaps you suffer from lycanthropy.
Primary Stat Bonus: +2 Strength
Primary Skill Bonus: +2 Athletics
Secondary Skill Bonus: +2 Intimidate
Encounter Power: Rage
-Immediate Reaction
-Trigger: An enemy damages you with an attack
-Effect: You gain a +2 power bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls against that enemy until the end of your next turn.

(.20.)
Half-Breed
One parent was normal for their race, the other was different. Or maybe you've been affected by some transformation.
Stat Bonus: +2 Any
Skill Bonus: +2 Any
Trait: Mixed Heritage. Choose a standard, non-hybrid race. You can now take feats that have that race as a pre-requisite as long as you meet all other requirements.

Last edited by Eternal Eclipse on 18th November 2010, 1:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Eternal Eclipse
Deity
Eternal Eclipse

Character sheet
Class:
Hit Points:
New Concept: Hybrid Races Left_bar_bleue2/2New Concept: Hybrid Races Empty_bar_bleue  (2/2)
Temporary Hit Points:

PostSubject: Re: New Concept: Hybrid Races   New Concept: Hybrid Races I_icon_minitime16th November 2010, 1:30 pm

Here I will roll two d20's to see what my hybrid race will be.
Back to top Go down
Fate
Deity
Fate

PostSubject: Re: New Concept: Hybrid Races   New Concept: Hybrid Races I_icon_minitime16th November 2010, 1:30 pm

The member 'Eternal Eclipse' has done the following action : Die rolls

'd20' : 20, 18
Back to top Go down
https://sollette.rpg-board.net
Eternal Eclipse
Deity
Eternal Eclipse

Character sheet
Class:
Hit Points:
Temporary Hit Points:

PostSubject: Re: New Concept: Hybrid Races   New Concept: Hybrid Races I_icon_minitime16th November 2010, 1:33 pm

So it appears I am a Half-Breed Manipulator.

I gain a +2 to whatever Stat and Skill I wish from Half-Breed, and a +2 Charisma and +2 Heal from Manipulator.

I also gain Telekinetic Reach and a Bonus Feat.

---

Let's see what I get next.
Back to top Go down
Fate
Deity
Fate

PostSubject: Re: New Concept: Hybrid Races   New Concept: Hybrid Races I_icon_minitime16th November 2010, 1:33 pm

The member 'Eternal Eclipse' has done the following action : Die rolls

'd20' : 5, 1
Back to top Go down
Eternal Eclipse
Deity
Eternal Eclipse

Character sheet
Class:
Hit Points:
Temporary Hit Points:

PostSubject: Re: New Concept: Hybrid Races   New Concept: Hybrid Races I_icon_minitime16th November 2010, 1:39 pm

It seems I've now rolled a Feline Lycanthrope Construct.

Perhaps I'm a Warforged designed with natural weapons.

Or maybe I'm a Rakshasa who has replaced limbs lost in a fight with a Deva.

What your character looks like is entirely up to you! The descriptions I provided are only there as guidelines, not set in stone.

Maybe your Fire and Earth Elemental looks like a man made of lava? Or perhaps he looks human but with gray skin and burning bright eyes.

Your Avian Swarmling is a group of flying insects with a hive mind intelligence.

His Void Spawn Half-Giant looks like someone cut a man-shaped hole into space.

Their Ursine Lycanthrope Half-Breed is a Dragonborn who contracted lycanthropy and lost her breath weapon!

The possibilities are endless.

---

Please leave feedback!
Back to top Go down
Sundew
Traveller
Sundew

Character sheet
Class: Wizard
Hit Points:
New Concept: Hybrid Races Left_bar_bleue20/20New Concept: Hybrid Races Empty_bar_bleue  (20/20)
Temporary Hit Points:

PostSubject: Re: New Concept: Hybrid Races   New Concept: Hybrid Races I_icon_minitime16th November 2010, 2:14 pm

Heheheh! It reminds of something I just read, which I didn't know until now. Apparently in the 1st edition of DnD's Monster Manual, the Gnolls were originally a combination of Gnomes and Trolls.

Gnomes and Trolls.

WTF????

So they're tiny giants? Wispy hulks? Clever idiots? Enchanting butt-uglies? Playful dullards? Or maybe they kinda cancel each other out, so they're pretty much an alternative name for 'humans'. You know. Kinda the mid-point between Gnomes and Trolls, so, just, regular.

Also, what next? Feylatinous Cubes? You know, pointy-eared, underdressed cubes of supple, unblemished flesh? Beholdrows? Gobland-sharks? Well, I know there's goblin-sharks in real life, and quite ugly enough to fit in an DnD campaign, so I guess that makes some sense.
Back to top Go down
Sundew
Traveller
Sundew

Character sheet
Hit Points:
New Concept: Hybrid Races Left_bar_bleue20/20New Concept: Hybrid Races Empty_bar_bleue  (20/20)
Temporary Hit Points:

PostSubject: Re: New Concept: Hybrid Races   New Concept: Hybrid Races I_icon_minitime16th November 2010, 2:25 pm

Okay, let's give this a try.
Back to top Go down
Fate
Deity
Fate

PostSubject: Re: New Concept: Hybrid Races   New Concept: Hybrid Races I_icon_minitime16th November 2010, 2:25 pm

The member 'Mambele' has done the following action : Die rolls

'd20' : 3, 6
Back to top Go down
Sundew
Traveller
Sundew

Character sheet
Hit Points:
Temporary Hit Points:

PostSubject: Re: New Concept: Hybrid Races   New Concept: Hybrid Races I_icon_minitime16th November 2010, 2:27 pm

That's suitable. A storm elemental half-giant!
Back to top Go down
Eternal Eclipse
Deity
Eternal Eclipse

Character sheet
Class:
Hit Points:
Temporary Hit Points:

PostSubject: Re: New Concept: Hybrid Races   New Concept: Hybrid Races I_icon_minitime16th November 2010, 2:41 pm

Half Storm Giant! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
zebith
Traveller
zebith

Character sheet
Class: paladin
Hit Points:
New Concept: Hybrid Races Left_bar_bleue25/25New Concept: Hybrid Races Empty_bar_bleue  (25/25)
Temporary Hit Points:

PostSubject: Re: New Concept: Hybrid Races   New Concept: Hybrid Races I_icon_minitime16th November 2010, 2:51 pm

It would definitly make for an interesting campaign lmao!
Back to top Go down
Sundew
Traveller
Sundew

Character sheet
Hit Points:
Temporary Hit Points:

PostSubject: Re: New Concept: Hybrid Races   New Concept: Hybrid Races I_icon_minitime16th November 2010, 3:00 pm

Half storm giant. Way to go, dad!
Back to top Go down
Eternal Eclipse
Deity
Eternal Eclipse

Character sheet
Class:
Hit Points:
Temporary Hit Points:

PostSubject: Re: New Concept: Hybrid Races   New Concept: Hybrid Races I_icon_minitime18th November 2010, 1:09 pm

Made a modification to the 'Half-Breed' selection.

I replaced the bonus feat with a different trait. I felt that a bonus feat was a little overpowered. Besides, I was planning on making 'Mixed Heritage' a feat for it anyway and this just makes things simpler.
Back to top Go down
Eternal Eclipse
Deity
Eternal Eclipse

Character sheet
Class:
Hit Points:
Temporary Hit Points:

PostSubject: Re: New Concept: Hybrid Races   New Concept: Hybrid Races I_icon_minitime5th June 2011, 11:18 pm

I think it's time I made some feats for the different hybrids.

---

Heroic Tier

Compatibility
Prerequisite: Construct hybrid race
Effect: You can attach and imbed warforged components.

Strong Climber
Prerequisite: Insect hybrid race
Effect: You have Spider Climb equal to half your speed.

Lightning Affinity
Prerequisite: Storm Elemental hybrid race
Effect: You gain Resist Lightning 5

Strong Feelings
Prerequisite: Empath hybrid race
Effect: You can choose a different ability score besides Charisma for the temporary HP bonus you give to allies.

Sharpened Claws
Prerequisite: Feline Lycanthrope hybrid race
Effect: Your claws do 1d8 damage instead of 1d6.

Matter over Mind
Prerequisite: Half-Giant hybrid race
Effect: You can wield an oversized weapon, that you are proficient with, with no penalty to attack.

Gravitational Pull
Prerequisite: Void-Spawn hybrid race
Effect: When a power says you can push or pull a target, you can choose to instead slide the target.

Wing Buffet
Prerequiste: Avian hybrid race
Effect: When you use your Avian Flight power, you can choose to push one enemy adjacent to you 1 square away. At 11th level choose two enemies. At 21st level, all enemies adjacent to you will be pushed.

Fortune Teller
Prerequisite: Seer hybrid race
Effect: When using your Clairvoyance Seer power, add your Wisdom modifier to the reroll.

Mental Fortitude
Prerequisite: Illithid Born (Soldier) hybrid race
Effect: You gain Resist Psychic 5

Mental Aptitude
Prerequisite: Illithid Born (Slaver) hybrid race
Effect: You can communicate telepathically with any creature that has a language within 5 squares of you.

Thorny Bark
Prerequisite: Plant hybrid race
Effect: When an enemy hits you with a melee attack, they take damage equal to half your level. This has no effect on minions.

Fire Affinity
Prerequisite: Fire Elemental hybrid race
Effect: You gain Resist Fire 5.

Poison Affinity
Prerequisite: Tainted Elemental hybrid race
Effect: You gain Resist Poison 5.

Hive Mind
Prerequisite: Swarmling hybrid race
Effect: After using your Swarm power, you resist 1/2 damage to all melee and ranged attacks until the end of your next turn.

Stone Hide
Prerequisite: Earth Elemental hybrid race
Effect: After using your Merge with Earth power you gain +2 AC until the end of your next turn.

Strong Legs
Prerequisite: Quickling hybrid race
Effect: You still gain +1 to your speed even while wearing heavy armor.

Offensive Manipulation
Prerequisite: Manipulator hybrid race
Effect: You no longer suffer the -2 penalty to attack rolls when manipulating a weapon. You still do not add the weapon's proficiency bonus to attack rolls, or any modifier to damage rolls.

Short Temper
Prerequisite: Ursine Lycanthrope hybrid race
Effect: You can use your Rage power twice per encounter.

Familial Bond
Prerequisite: Half-Breed hybrid race
Effect: Choose a trait from your standard, non-hybrid race. You now have that trait and can take any feat that requires that trait.

---

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Concept: Hybrid Races   New Concept: Hybrid Races I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Concept: Hybrid Races
Page 1 of 1